Now, that Wendy has received the dress I knit for Sydney, I can finally show it. The pattern was from the Japanese Baby's Knit book. I made the dress from Sirdar's Snuggly yarn in dusty lavender and white (again, you can't go wrong with machine washable soft yarn). Wendy likes the colors: purple and peach. You can't really tell from the picture, but there is a small eyelet pattern on the top of the collar, purple garter stitch rows, and a diamond 4 hole eyelet pattern. The dress bottom has a simple alternating 3 hole eyelet pattern. The plastic, shiny buttons are from a sewing shop in midtown. I think I was very ambitious that these baby knits would be easy and quick, since they're baby knits. But I didn't factor in the frogging (which I do in every project, I'm a perfectionist), and knitting on size 3 needles. Small needles always = long time.


Plus with this particular project, I had to learn to crochet. The edging on the collar is a 3 chain picot. Well, I can crochet, I just can't read crochet patterns, since I was taught by my grandmother when I was 2. I think it turned out pretty nice for a first time effort. The Basic Crochet & Knit book (above) has helped me with crochet patterns and reading graphical patterns. Yes, the picture on the cover scares me too.
I can't wait to see Sydney in the dress. Jon is breathing a huge sigh of relief, as I wrapped up these baby projects. Because, strangely enough, these projects made me think of babies :D



3 comments:
wow! the dress is gorgeous!!! maybe this could be your full-time job! :)
yeah it is really pretty!
what is frogging btw?
Frogging is knitting-speak for unraveling rows of yarn. It really sucks when you look at your piece and see you dropped a stitch or you made a mistake and then you "frog" 20+ rows to get to it. I frog often.
Post a Comment