Orenji8 Blog

Monday, April 23, 2007

A Long Winter...

Dendrobium Love Memory FitDendrobium Love Memory "Fit"



Asconopsis Irene Dobkin Elmhurst Asconopsis Irene Dobkin Elmhurst
Asconopsis Irene Dobkin "Elmhurst" [flower image from orchidweb.com]

I am pretty certain I suffer from S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) or the winter blues. I become depressed, withdrawn in the winter time. So, I am very happy that Spring is finally here. Hubby offered to go to the International Orchid show at Rockerfeller Center with me on Friday. He really is the sweetest. There were so many beautiful orchids that I have never seen before. I was drawn to the orange and yellow orchids (of course). Hubby confessed that he really liked the violet colored orchids best (after much prodding). We went to the stands in the concourse level after. I kept telling myself I would not buy another plant. But I couldn't resist and bought a Dendrobium Love Memory "Fit" (Dendro) and an Asconopsis Irene Dobkin "Elmhurst" (Ascps). Both vendors were from Hawaii. The Dendro I bought, because I really liked the way the flowers grew in bunches, it reminded me of cherry blossoms. I thought the Dendro would be complicated to take care of. Turns out, every description of it, says it's for beginners. I bought the Ascps, because I love the orange-peach color, it just called out to me. Also, because it was labelled "good for beginners." But when I did some research, this isn't the case, it's rather rare and finnicky. I am hoping the Ascps was not mislabelled and sprout those white orchids that you find in Target. I would be so angry, let's see.

No comments: