Orenji8 Blog

Monday, July 31, 2006

Marianne Short Cardigan


Here are the size 4 & 5 swatches I made for the Marianne short cardigan from Rowan 37. (Again with Photobooth, because I can't get the camera to hook up to the computer).


I keep referring to it as the Melissa cardigan, because it reminds me of Melissa (a quirky ex-coworker). She caught the knitting bug the same time I did, 2 Springs ago.

I'm normally a loose knitter, so I was sure the swatch I made at the suggested needle size (6) would not match the pattern's. So I made one with a size 3 needle next. Why? Because I didn't have a size 4 or 5 needle and the swatch with the 6 needle was 5 cm off! The size 3 swatch was very very tiny, I was at least 3 cm under. I tried it with a 5 and it was 1 cm off. And I almost decided this would be okay... but I remembered a cardigan takes a lot of work and I didn't want it to be misshapened because I was 1 cm off. So I made a swatch with the size 4 needle and it was PERFECT!

Woo! I felt like Goldilocks... I had finally found the needle size that was just right.

No comments: