Orenji8 Blog

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Gobble! Gobble!

Happy Turkey Day! (well, turkey day weekend). We went to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. Ironically, we didn't have turkey the whole weekend, I didn't miss it. My mother-in-law made some northern Chinese cuisine, like bokchoy, taro and tofu stew. And we went shopping briefly in the Short Hills Mall. It was nice to see his aunts and uncles, whom we rarely visit.

Yesterday, hubby decided to go to Mitsuwa and I bought some groceries to try out some Japanese Homestyle Cooking recipes. I made turnip and pork belly stew, and Chawan Mushi (egg custard). Both were yummy. I wasn't sure I made the dashi stock correctly, but both dishes tasted good. I have been obssessed with steamed eggs lately, and it took me a long time to find a shallow plate, deep enough to hold the custard and small enough to fit inside our bamboo steamer. I found the square plates at Target. The Japanese egg custard recipe creates a smoother texture, than the Chinese recipe. I think the difference is the dashi stock versus chicken stock. I used the turnip leaves for udon today, and they were tender and reminded me of bokchoy.

Chawan MushiChawan Mushi

Pork and TurnipsPork and Turnips

No comments: